Calgary Hit and Run Accidents Injury Lawyer


    Contact a lawyer now

    Your information is kept safe.

    Read our 5.0 Reviews

    Read reviews on Google

    Get our lawyers on your team

    With offices in 15 locations across Canada, we are in your corner.


    Personal injury cases can get a little more complicated when the negligent driver hit your car and ran. The police won’t always be able to find the other driver. Fortunately, you can still take legal action in these cases.

    In most cases, you will be making your claim against the Motor Vehicle Accidents Claim Program, or MVAC. This program qualifies you for up to $200,000 in compensation, which means it covers many of the most common personal injury cases. In addition, there’s always the chance that the hit and run driver will be found, which will allow the case to resume as normal.

    What makes you eligible for an MVAC claim?

    First, you have to have suffered bodily injuries from the accident. Your own insurance policy might kick in to cover property damage, but MVAC is specifically for injury-based expenses.

    Second, the accident has to have happened in Alberta, and you must be an Alberta resident.

    Third, the accident had to have been the other driver’s fault.

    Finally, you and your lawyer have to make a reasonable attempt to find the driver of the hit and run vehicle. It’s actually better news for you if you can, as then you can pursue a normal personal injury claim against that driver and their insurance company.

    Can you get punitive damages in a hit and run case?

    In order for punitive damages to kick in, a driver has to commit an offense that’s punishable. Hit and run driving certainly qualifies.

    These types of damages will only be available if you successfully locate the other driver and hold them accountable. Fortunately, the lawyers at Merchant Law are adept at helping accident victims gather the facts of the case, and know what resources are available to help locate these drivers. We are happy to work closely with the police on your behalf.

    What should you do in a hit and run accident?

    Do your best to take down every detail you can while it’s still fresh in your memory. Did you get a partial plate? What was the make, model, and color of the car? Was there a traffic camera nearby that might have footage of the hit and run driver? Did you see who was behind the wheel?

    You should also get the names and numbers of any witnesses who happen to be on the scene. Call the police immediately.

    Next, get medical attention and follow all of your doctor’s instructions. Ideally, you will also reach out to a lawyer before reporting the accident to your own insurance company.

    Why Merchant Law?

    When you work with a lawyer from Merchant Law you’ll be working with one of Alberta’s most experienced lawyers. Our team is known for being tough, which means you get the strength you need to successfully navigate your hit and run case.

    To get started, call (403) 225-7777. We answer our phones 24/7/365 to make sure you get the help you need quickly. Your initial consultation is free, and you don’t have to worry about legal fees at all if we’re not successful.